Tuesday, May 31, 2011

It's Amazing What A Breather Will Do

My husband is amazing! I think I'm made that pretty clear here and I'm pretty sure I've covered the fact that he canNOT sit STILL. He's on go, go, go almost always. If you watched him for one day, he would exhaust most people. Well he does me anyway. Occasionally, he will take a Saturday off to do something fun, but not as much as he should. About a year and a half ago, we bought a house. A short sale. A house that had 5 owners in 7 years. A house that had been vacant for close to 2 years. A great core of a house, but a sh*^tload of work that needed to be done with it. Have a mentioned before that I was super pregnant during most of the 7 month process of acquiring this piece of property? Did I also mentioned I had Mia 5 days after we moved in? No? Ha! It's a constant project in motion and we have made one heck of a dent in just a year and a half I must say, but there are very few weekends where my husband is not doing something.
If it's not the house, it's his business. He runs his own business and it's pretty much 24-7. It has it's flexibility which is especially nice when you have a child. Sundays are really his only "down" day, but I use that term very loosely because he'll still be doing something, making phone calls, working on his books...always something. He doesn't have the luxury of looking forward to Friday, or the weekend, because more often than not he works on Saturdays and doesn't have the traditional work week schedule.
As if that wasn't enough, he also cuts his grandma's grass, every other week or so, which is not a super huge deal, but it just always ends up needing to be done at the wrong time. Through that into a 6 day work week. And she will call and call until he comes because that is what she has to worry about until it's done. She doesn't give much notice.
FIN.A.LLY, just yesterday he didn't do a darn thing all day. He relaxed, grilled, had a few drinks and just took a breath. Towards the end of the day, after Mia was in bed and we were just sitting on the deck enjoying the beautiful weather, he said this was the best day he had in a really long time. He said he felt like he was on vacation. Wow! Think somebody needed a time out?
To all the amazing husbands out there, but especially mine, that work their tails off to support and provide for their families, thank you! He's the peas in my carrots! And I wouldn't be the same person without him. Without him I would not have my beautiful daughter or the wonderful life that I do. I am very blessed and sometimes need a extra long weekend to really realize and appreciate it.
I just hope it made him realize how important it is to make time for these kinds of days. You can't work every hour and every minute. There are only so many hours in a day. Life is too short and time just continues to pass right on by. We have a lot of life left and a heck of a lot more memories to create!! We talked a lot about this last night and I think he does realize the importance of this kind of time and just how fulfilling and rewarding it can be....finally.

Here we are almost 3 years ago already, newlyweds, thin, tan, pre-child, no agenda and all the time in the world. Happy Short Week (well hopefully anyway)!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Awww such a sweet post! I'm glad he finally took a breather...sometimes it is hard just to sit back and enjoy life. Hopefully he will have more days like that! :)

Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

Awwe! What a nice post! My husband works so hard, too. Often weekends as well. When he takes that rare time off we have really learned to savor it. Sounds like you guys have, too! It's so important :)

the workaholic momma said...

How true - sometimes you just need a day to take it all in and remember what life is all about!! This is such a beautiful post to your hubs and I'm so glad you guys had such a wonderful day:)

A Mommy in the City said...

This is such a sweet post! My husband is the same way. When he takes time off though, he really takes time off! Unplugs and everything. It is so necessary when they are constantly going all the time!