Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Marlow's Birth Story - Part Uno

Let me just start by saying this process was so much different this time around.
The body is an amazing thing and whether you've done it once, never or five times, each time it tells a very different story.

Sunday, March 10
9:30 pm (5 days from my due date and 4 days from my scheduled inducement)
I had gone to the bathroom for what felt like the 14th time since about 5:00 pm.  Mia was in bed. It was Melissa and Hubby quiet TV time.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  By this time I was off work, put on limited activity and I was, for the most part, being pretty well behaved.
As I sat down on the couch and leaned by large pregnant bootay over to lie down, I had a pop and a little gush.  OMG I peed myself ooooooooor my water just broke.  I called the doctor after freaking out to the Husband and they told me to definitely go in.  OMG.  OMG.  OMG.  Cue the call to my sister who was on standby for evening and late night labor activity.  She was over within minutes to sweep up Mia and take her to their house.
The Husband and I drove to the hospital in the late night laughing about the fact that it is clearly impossible to have a baby at any decent, normal hour.  Seriously how many babies are born in the middle of the day when most people are awake?

Side tangent:
Since I was induced with Mia, I had absolutely NO IDEA what to expect with going into labor naturally.  No idea whatsoever and I was obsessively googling every single symptom and reading every single website on how to induce labor.  Everything from nightly squat sessions in the kitchen to daily walks to scrubbing the bathrooms on my hands and knees.  Anything to get the ball rolling.  I'm not a good wait-er.  I'm a planner and like to know what happens next ALLTHETIME (except when I'm on vacation)!  Not my biggest strength that's for sure.

I was so unsure as to whether this was IT or not.  I had no other symptoms, no contractions.  Nothing.  Nada.

A great friend continued to tell me to trust in the process and I was doing my best to let nature takes its course.  She wouldn't stay in there forever.

We arrived at the hospital and checked in.  I had a doctor's appointment the Friday before.  She did some "things" to try to help "get things moving" as she was on call over the weekend and it would have worked out great because we all know how well babies are concerned with ours and our doctor's schedules.

I got to my room and got all comfy in my hospital gown.  Still no contractions or other symptoms, started to feel like I should have just stayed home.  They ran 3 different tests after the ultrasound did not indicate that my water had officially broke and talked to the doctor, not mine, the one of duty and 2 hours later sent me on my merry way back to the homefront.

Bottom line...she's sitting so low that I'm was losing control of my bladder.  So that's fun.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Erika said...

Hahaha this is so the beginning to my story. Water broke, thought I peed myself, no contractions. Except 2 hours in triage waiting for the doctor to confirm that my water did break...I lifted my legs and water came GUSHING out at them and onto the floor...needless to say I was admitted;-)