Thursday, September 24, 2009

5 months, 1 week, 2 days and counting...

OK...seriously...will this ever end? Here we sit two and a half days from when we are scheduled to close on the new house (yes, finally), but we have again hit the brakes. The listing agent has now been unsuccessful in contacting the negotiator at the seller's bank for over a week. They gave us final verbal approval last Tuesday, but we are waiting on the official approval letter from them. We don't know if the letter has been drafted or mailed and in addition have no idea if the bank knows of our closing date because he WON'T CALL HER BACK!!! All we know is that the contract is approved. I just can't handle it much longer. I'm not very good with situations that are out of my control and specifically those that have been out of my control for an excess of five months. Hopefully the house gods will grant us our wish and several prayers and this will somehow turnaround in the next few days and we really will close on the house. I'm just not feeling good about it. To add to the pressure, the baby is due five weeks from Saturday. Hang on there little girl! Mommy and Daddy are working really hard to get you a house before you arrive.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Tomorrow is 4 months

I try to keep my posts positive, but today I must vent just a bit... Tomorrow, to the date, it has been four months since we have put a contract on a house. The short sale process is time consuming and we understood that going in, but it is now at a level of severe frustration for me considering my daughter is due in three months and I am still living in my in-laws basement. We received approval from the seller's bank about 2 weeks ago, since then we have had our inspection and determined there are some major issues that need to be resolved before we proceed with this purchase. One involving cracked water pipes that need to be repaired so that we can complete the inspection and two involving mold that is growing in the basement (just lovely). The house is only 7 years old and was supposedly winterized, so we certainly did not anticipate these issues. Due to the nature of the repairs, even though we are buying the property "as-is," we have gone back to the bank and asked them to pay. I've always (for the most part, most days) tried to keep the mindset that these issues are not anything I can control and I cannot force the bank to be quick about anything so it is all therefore very out of my control. I keep telling myself it will all work out and we'll still get a good deal on the house. There is something that keeps telling me this house will work and Mark feels the same way. I don't know why exactly, but I hope it is not just because I don't want to start this process all over again. We don't have time to go after another short sale or foreclosure, so we'll have to buy a house the "normal" way and that is a bit frightening. There are still good deals out there that are not in short sale or foreclosure, but not this good. It is just such a great deal that we have to work a bit harder to get what we want. Waiting 3 1/2 months for approval was not enough torture I guess! We're holding on to this "investment" for just a little bit longer, but we will have to move on soon. Everyone keeps telling us to move on, be careful, make sure you are not getting involved with a money pit, etc. As much as I appreciate and respect everyone's input and opinion, we need this to work. If the bank handles these repairs (if not all, a pretty good slice) this is still a steal! This will greatly benefit us financially if we can tie up these loose ends, fix er' up and sell in a couple of years! We've submitted bids, at the banks request, to fix the pipes and remove the mold. But here we are on Monday and still no word from the bank or agents today. We were told last Friday that they (our agent and the listing agent) were hopeful to have a response that day. I need to just stop believing that because I get so easily disappointed. My poor husband struggles with how to keep me happy as this whole thing has affected my mood and I'm not the most chipper person these days. I tell him there is nothing he can do because it is what it is and I can' t do anything about it so I just keep going each day hoping we'll eventually hear something positive. I feel bad that he feels guilty because it is not his fault, but he is a good, caring husband that wants to ensure that I am happy. It's a rough time, we've been without our space since March 27 and I'll be 7 months pregnant on Saturday. My first shower is rapidly approaching this Saturday and I never thought in a million years that I wouldn't be in a house by the time my first shower got here. I'm most fearful that I will have this baby and we will not have a house, although Mark promises this will not be the case. So we'll continue to keep our fingers and toes crossed tightly and say our prayers each night that we will end up where is best for our growing family. Right now I am trying to stay calm and do what is best for me and my baby girl. Somedays are easier than others, but I am still very blessed because I have the family and friends that I have and the support that I need. Mark and I would just really like a break! A glass of wine would be nice too, but I will have to wait a little bit longer for that!!

Monday, July 6, 2009

It's a...

GIRL! We are so excited to welcome another girl into our families. For those that don't know, I am one of three girls in my family and Mark has one sister. My oldest sister has two girls and Mark's sister has two girls. Girls, girls everywhere! Our cousin has a girl and my very best friend has a girl as well. We are now in our 22nd week, so we are more than half way there. I can't wait for the day I get to meet our precious princess! In the meantime I've enjoyed some recent baby purchases and many gifts we've received already. I hope this girl loves pink as much as her mommy. I look forward to nesting in our new house (fingers still crossed, hope to hear more next week) and spending time with family and friends at my upcoming baby showers! Oh and the name is a secret, so you will just have to wait until November 15thish!!!

Monday, June 22, 2009

And Baby Makes Three and Other Thoughts

It's been a while since my last post and we've been very busy. Mark and I are expecting our first baby on November 15. We are very excited and quickly approaching our 20 week ultrasound on Monday. We'll finally know (as long as the baby cooperates) whether we are having a boy or a girl. Mark wasn't so sure he wanted to find out at first, but after we talked about it he agreed that we having enough unknown going into this next chapter of ours. Maybe we'll wait to find out if we decided to have Baby Wolff #2. Unfortunately for Mark, it is not twins. He was really hoping to have two the first go around and then we would be done. I, on the other hand, am excited it's just one. I think two would be entirely too overwhelming, especially for two people who will both have to eventually go back to work full time. It's an interesting time for the Wolff's. As you may know from my previous posts, we sold our house back in March and we are still homeless. We sold it in two weeks and had to be out in another six weeks. I must say it was a bit stressful, but we did it with the help of our very gracious parents. Mark and I have been indulging in the basement at his mom and dad's since we closed on our old house. Mark, myself, and our two wonderfully puppies have been taking up residence at the in-laws for a while now. It's been great for both of us really because I have gotten to know my in-laws much better than I think I ever would have (and it's a good thing) and Mark has reconnected with both of his parents. Mark's a very independent person, but I think this situation has allowed him to be more involved with his parents again. His mom and dad are great people and very caring. In addition, we have had a contract on a new house since April 13 and yes, we still are waiting to hear further. We are currently negotiating on a short sale property in O'Fallon and let me tell you these banks require a lot of patience. Every time we turn around the deadline has been extended, 15 days turn into 30, etc. There is no time line or guideline that these banks have to follow, so we just continue to be patient and hope and pray that this will work out. There are 3 phases and we're in the 2nd which could take another week or so to wrap (or so we think) and then it's onto the 3rd phase which we really know nothing about. Please pray for us that this house works out. We have time and there is no need to panic just yet, but with a baby on the way, I need some time to nest before I start to waddle :)

Thursday, April 2, 2009

"Home" Sweet "Home"

Well...we've moved out of our house, but unfortunately did not get a new house in time. The last house, as excited as we were, just wasn't meant to be. It needed a heavy amount of repairs and the listing agent wasn't the greatest to work with, to say the least and there was an investor involved, so things got a little sticky in the end and we all decided it was best to back out. So we moved on, we just haven't moved yet. We are currently living in Mark's parent's basement and it is working out great. The dogs are handling their new home quite well. We sold our house so quickly, we were thankful that they were willing to take us in and give us a place to live. Our third contract was submitted today, so we are hoping third time's a charm, so we will keep our fingers crossed and hope that this one works out. Who would have thought it would have worked out like this?? We'll keep you posted...

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Movin' on up!!

Well....it's going to be done to the wire, but it looks like we have purchased a new house. There are some odds and ends that we need to finalize, but it is looking VERY positive. We will be moving to St. Peters, a place we never thought we would end up. Our game plan opened up many financial opportunities and areas of St. Louis (St. Chuck) that we never thought we would live. We always said, we would never go "across the bridge," but when you start looking it will suck you in just like everybody else. It's a good feeling to know where will be going for our next chapter. Additionally, we will be closer to our sisters, brother-in-laws, nieces and cousins. Unfortunately we will be moving further away from our parents and some of our closest friends. The house if great and a perfect opportunity to enhance our lives. For many this is a bad market and horrible economy, but fortunately for us it has presented an awesome opportunity for us financially. We will (hopefully) be getting into a house that would otherwise not be able to afford now or maybe ever. So many houses are priced way below market value, one of the reasons we decided to sell now versus wait six months, year or so. That is the latest and I will be sure to post more information (and pictures) as we get everything finalized and move in!!. Jeffy and Lucy are really excited about all the extra running space they will have. I personally am excited about my new walk-in closet!!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

SOLD!!

Well, I can't believe I am saying this, but we sold our house and we did so in only 2 short weeks. It was really stressful knowing that we were getting an offer and hoping that it was what Mark wanted. For those of you that don't know, Mark has lived in 281 Ramsey for 12 years next month. I just came into the picture about 5 years ago. I kind of stepped back and let him make the decisions and chimmed in when he asked my opinion, but I knew it was important to him to get a certain amount of money for the house. I was nervous that it wasn't going to happen, but optimistic that it was only our first offer and the house had been on the market for such a short time. At the same time, with the economy as shaky as it is, would he later shoot himself in the foot six months down the road that he had rejected this offer? What it a freak thing that we got an offer so soon? Did we price it too low or did we just find a buyer that quick? It is his house and I wanted the decision to be up to him. Well after a stressful and overwhelming weekend, we finally agreed to terms that we both felt comfortable with on Sunday evening. It's an exciting time as we begin the quest for our next home, but it is overwhelming since we have not pinpointed a location and St. Louis is a big city. It will be our first journey to find a home together. We will end up where is best for us, I know that, but until March 29, I will continue to wonder where we will be next. There are so many factors to consider. It's an interesting thought trying to visualize yourself in a place you will call home and you don't even know where that is yet.