Monday, August 13, 2012

Alone Time

Saturday night, the Hubs and I celebrated one of our very dear friends 40th birthdays.

It had been quite a while since we had a date night.

We were due.  Maybe even a little overdue.

It was fun little dinner party.  It was held at a very old (and creepy and haunted) mansion in a "not so great area" of St. Louis City.  The kind of "not so great" that we went back to our cars in groups.  So yeah, that.
The dinner was a Murder Mystery/Dinner Theater type deal and we had a blast.  Everyone had a speaking part.  I was Thelma Lou and Hubs was Floyd Dawson.  We had our own room, so it was just the 25-30 of us.  Perfect.

Mia was at my parents house for a little slumber party.

I slept until 9:30 on Sunday and woke up feeling like a brand new person.  I mean I used to be able to sleep until 11:30, even if that was alcohol induced, late night at the bar sleep in, I used to be able to sleep once upon a time.  I miss that kind of sleep (not so much the bar).  The Hubs didn't surface until well after 11.  He can sleep later than me.  Whatever.

My Mom and I had planned to meet at the pool late morning and spend the day relaxing.  It was an overcast day with a few showers mixed in so she proposed another idea.  She offered to keep her (and bathe her) through her nap so we could just relax.

And God love her for that.  I cleaned bathrooms and did laundry in peace.  I mopped the kitchen floor in peace.

We watched stupid shows like Million Dollar Listings New York City for hours with no interruption.  We had a frozen pizza for lunch and stayed in our jammies.

Did we miss our girl?  Absolutely.  But was the time alone much needed? Yes.

We were reunited at about 4:00 and we had a great evening filled with dress up, legos, playing house and blocks.  We even managed to have homemade spaghetti.  She told me it was scrumptious, so I consider that a win.

It was a good day and a much needed break from parenthood.  I'm not afraid to admit I need a break every once and a while...and so does my Hubs.  I'm just thankful and so very grateful for my parents.  They knew we needed a break and they were right there willing to offer us one.

Just love them.

Have a great week!


3 comments:

the workaholic momma said...

aaww...YAY!!! So glad you guys got a nice break and a chance to catch up on laundry and some super important TV;)...trust me I have a whole DVR of the same that I need to find some time to indulge in:) Hope you have a wonderful week!!

Kay Holt said...

You absolutley deserved that time!! I love whent the grandparents or some of our friends even want to keep P. I need that time away and so does she! ;) Sounds like it was a fun/relaxing night/day!!

Jamie said...

I love that you were able to get a break. We all need one some times!