Monday, January 17, 2011

A Better Me

As I continue my journey of Me in this new year, today starts a more physical focus. I have two goals over the next two months: 1. Run the St. Patty's Day 5 Mile Run in Downtown St. Louis. I did it last year with my sister Shannon and my hubby and what an accomplishment this was for me. Only three short months after giving birth to Mia I set out to complete this goal. I am NOT a runner and I will never claim to be, but there is something quite emotional and glorifying about completing something you've physically trained hard for. I played collegiate volleyball, so I know what it feels like to push yourself and train your a** off, but it had been a loooooong time since I had pushed myself like that. But, I followed a program and stuck to it (most of the time) and completed the race. I wasn't first, but that wasn't my goal. My goal was to complete something that made me feel good about myself and accomplished and that is EXACTLY what I did. 2. Lose 20 pounds in the next two months and wear a bikini in Mexico in June. Seems quick, but I can do it. Last year after Memorial Day (I kept up my workout routine until that point) I really fell off my workout wagon. I've lost a little bit of that good feeling about myself and I'm really not in a good place with myself physically right now. I never really have felt bad about myself. Throughout my entire life up until just a few years ago, I was always very active with volleyball or just working out in general. At this particular time in my life, this is the heaviest I have ever been. I have a pooch that I am not happy about and I feel like my face is getting more and more round every week. It's time to do something about it. Not only do I need to do it for myself, but I need to do it for my family, especially that little girl. I want her to grow up knowing the importance of fitness and eating well. This healthy balance that I felt I was had a pretty good grasp on is crumbling in my hands. It's very difficult and won't be an easy fix, but I need to do something about it. Working full time and being a Mom is tough. At the end of the day, it's seldom about me, it's about everyone else and by the time I am done I am exhausted! I need to remember me too now. We have a vacation planned at the end of June to Cancun and I want to get back in a bikini. It's time to make a change. There is no accepting this as "the way it's going to be." It's important for me to feel good about myself. After all, if I can feel good about myself I can be a better mother, wife and employee! A better benefit for everyone!

No comments: