Thursday, January 27, 2011

Love Actually

On the way into work this morning I was listening to my usual morning entertainment - MJ in the Morning on Z107.7. It's never anything profound, a lot of crazy news stories and entertainment gossip - two of my favorite things. This morning was a bit different and so is this post. I don't typically get this serious. As you may or may not have heard, two more police officers were killed in the line of duty this week in St. Petersburg, Florida while attempting to serve a warrant. There have been an abundance of police shootings as of late and many of them unfortunately ending in fatalities. This particular segment of the show really touched my heart on many levels, but most importantly as a mother and wife. One of the police officers wives came on to speak of her husband. This was the first time she had spoken publicly. She is a woman of the Lord, so she is holding onto her faith to help her through this time. I envy her for believing so heavily in something that will help her feel protected and safe during what I hope I never have to experience as a very difficult time in her life to say the very, very least. I often wish that I was able to do the same. As she spoke about her husband and how great of a partner he was to her, how great of a husband he was to her and how great of a father he was to their children, I began to think about my husband and my daughter. She spoke of their three children, two boys and one girl, and how much harder she thinks this will be for her daughter. Not only is she the oldest, but she is the only girl and many of us are lucky enough to know all about the special bond between a father and his daughter whether through one's own relationship with their father or seeing the bond through the eyes of your own daughter(s) and/or husband. It's a great thing! I love my Dad and I can truly relate through the bond we share. This very special bond has really begun to form with Mark and Mia. As this woman spoke I thought of what it would be like without Mark and it brought tears to my eyes. There are so many wonderful things about this man that I would take up pages telling you all about him. He is my rock and voice of reason, my partner, my soul mate and the absolute love of my life. Without him I would be missing a big part of what makes me the person that I am. Selfishly, I hope I never have to experience losing him, but more importantly I need to appreciate him even more than I already do. I need to remember that not everyone is as lucky and blessed as I am. I should be more grateful and not take the small things so seriously. We are all getting older, our lives are all getting busier and it's important to be sure to give those close to you hugs, kisses and I love yous as often as you can. We never know when our last moment on this earth will be, so embrace as much as the time you can. It's not easy, but a more conscious effort will help avoid any regrets. To my husband, daughter, family and friends - you each hold a very special place in my heart and I love each and every one of you!

No comments: