Thursday, February 3, 2011

Up

Wow! I can't believe I actually did it. It only took me 32 years, but I finally went up in the Gateway Arch. It's a national monument, in a city where I have lived almost my entire life and not once have I been up to the top - 630 feet.
Here are a few reasons why I had not taken part in this particular journey:
1. I am my father's daughter. We are both not a fan of confined spaces.
2. I am claustrophobic. Refer back to #1.
3. I have a fear of heights. I may have a bit of a control problem. I don't like to be off the ground. In my car I'm ok, but planes, etc. make me a nervous wreck.
4. The Arch lost electricity just a few years ago and people were stuck for hours. That thought is paralyzing to me.
5. I had a pretty good idea that this would make me feel like I couldn't breath and that the trip up, however long it may be, would make me feel like I was suffocating. Mind you the trip up is only 4 minutes and down is only 3.
6. I was unaware of the actual size of the pod, capsule, whatever you want to call it, but the visuals I had created in my head were not helping.
Here are the reasons why I decided to put on my big girl pants and do it:
1. Family Fun Time!
2. I only have one chance on this earth to do the things I want. I should probably take advantage of my own city a little more.
3. I'm 32...enough with the wimpy stuff.
4. I have a daughter and wanted to share it with her and document it so she can look back on it when she is older. Even more so, by testing my fears she will hopefully be fearless (I may be setting myself up for a diffcult teenage age, but oh well, live and learn).
5. My hubby hadn't been since he was a kid and he didn't recall much of it and he was on board to go up again.
6. What's the worst that can happen right? (I can say this now of course)
I am so glad I did this. The pod/capsule/thingy had a window to see out as we went up and down and this helped me immensely. The view from the top was pretty extraordinary and worth all of the anxiety it caused me leading up to the moment the doors closed and we started our journey to the top. It was the only time I would ever see a view of the city in this way. It was a great memory and I can now check this off my list.

No comments: